hey guys ... what do you think is better XE2 ou XE3?!

Comments

  1. XE3, without a shadow of a doubt. Especially with the forthcoming mobile additions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you..but there r no platform for iOS phone in XE3 right?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thnk you so much François Piette  ^^ by the way you have awesome bloger thankx teacher ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. XE. Both just introduced more bugs than features ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. XE3 - It has it's annoyances, but it does the job for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. XE3 introduced some nasty compiler regressions

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't say I've been hit my them, at least not to my knowledge, and I am using quite a bit of RTTI and Generics.

    Any regression you'd want to point out in particular?
    Any specific compiler area worse off than others?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The one thing that I noticed in the IDE, apart from the memory leaks and deadlock on type CTRL hot links, was typing Alt-0169 (©) in the version description info and have it jump to the wrong edit box.  That one was fixed in XE, I think, and came back with XE3.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Regressions were some internal compiler errors related to generics, variable initializations and interfaces. They manifest with a more or less random ICE that points to a line of code unrelated to what triggers the error.
    It doesn't take very complex generics, DWScript code triggered a couple of them with code that compiles okay from D2009 to XE2. I know a few other open-source projects that had them as well, and then my XE3 trial ran out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Come to think of it, I do remember a specific case of generics code that mysteriously stopped working with XE3.  

    It was in a form, where I had multiple listboxes with various content, and the content was extracted from TList containers, and I made a
      TMyForm.Populate(const Control: TComboBox;
        const List: TList);
    and it had really strange and random errors where the list content was corrupted.

    Solved it by subclassing TList and introducing
      TMyList.PopulateCombo(const Control:TComboBox);

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eric Grange currently I have seen only one thing you would probably call a regression (but I don't, I call ait a fix) in generics area. This was related to a typecast to TObject of the type that was passed to the genrics. it compiled with previous Delphi but not XE3 and it is XE3 which is right: the type had to contraint and so could not always be cast to a TObject.

    ReplyDelete
  12. François Piette Did you get an Internal Compiler Error at an unrelated line on this one? That's those I call regressions. If you get a proper compile error, it's different.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment