Another interesting potential stumbling block for XE4.

Another interesting potential stumbling block for XE4.

"To keep up with the notion of eliminating pointers, the new compiler requires an explicit style of marshalling data to/from external APIs and libraries.

This can be accomplished by using the high-level marshalling API TMarshaller: http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/Libraries/XE4/en/System.SysUtils.TMarshaller 
or the low-level TMarshal:
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/Libraries/XE4/en/System.TMarshal"

I wonder if this is limited to the iOS compiler, or if it applies to x86/x64 too?

Comments

  1. Once again, I prove my inability read ><!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the other hand, the TMarshaller and TMarshal sit in cross platform units?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I question the notion of eliminating pointers altogether.
    It should be a choice, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marshalling sounds like added overhead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, new compiler = iOS only, but in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "meeeh" -- thinking that objective-c is way better, imagine when you hit a brick wall, whom do you turn to on SO:
    Delphi | iOS(a few thousands -- maybe)
    or
    XCode | Objective-C(>= million)
    ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dorin Duminica The number of questions is only a problem if questions aren't getting answered, which doesn't seem to be the case.  And as of right now, the tag "delphi" has 20,226 -- more that "a few thousand".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick Hodges my bad, was referring to number of developers

    ReplyDelete
  9. The lower number of questions in Delphi can also be a sign that the language is easier to understand. No one counts the cases where things just work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uwe Raabe like with everything, you can look at it from different angles, it's not really a matter of language IMHO, ios is a different platform, I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I'm afraid that the market will be filled with shiny components for the ios, most of which useless and the compiler will fail to deliver the expectation.

    Don't get me wrong, I would love Delphi to be a choice for ios/android/etc. much better than having to learn yet another language and another way of doing this, however, I'm not going to hold my breath.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment