I've finally managed to test one of the XE4 samples on my iPhone4S and I must say I'm a little shocked.

I've finally managed to test one of the XE4 samples on my iPhone4S and I must say I'm a little shocked.

For example, the iOSControls demo (C:\Users\Public\Documents\RAD Studio\11.0\Samples\FireMonkeyMobile\iOSControls) takes around 10 seconds to load. Once loaded, switching tabs has a noticeable delay the first time a tab is displayed. In addition, the animation is very slow and choppy. It's unsightly for controls like checkboxes, but almost unusable for memos and edits when the magnifying glass is displayed.

I really want to start developing iOS apps, but I'm not sure that I can publish them if they behave this way. I'm not even sure that Apple will accept them in the app store :(

Marco Cantù, please tell us that you are working hard to optimise the UI code.

Comments

  1. Are you running it through the debugger, or straight on the device?  I haven't had a chance to try it as yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phillip Woon - On the device, no debugger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's not good news.  10 seconds on a 4S - would mean 30 seconds on a 3GS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But at least it's "true native", right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mm, well, it is the first version of the Arm compiler.   I would hope they are working on improving it.  I'm not quite ready to do iOS development as yet, but I'll look at it in the next few weeks.   We do have to get a prototype out by september.  Hope I don't have to fall back on Objective C (yikes).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phillip Woon never underestimate the ability of Delphi users to forgive just about any shortcoming and be sure that The Next One will get it right... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you tried disabling the new GPUCanvas and use Quartz instead? Quartz might be slower on some drawing methods, but faster in others and much less ARC overhead.

    TPlatformServices.Current.GlobalFlags.Add(GlobalDisableiOSGPUCanvas, True));

    ReplyDelete
  8. David Berneda - I tried your suggestion, but it seems pretty much the same :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sergionn Rad _"but Lars still wants to believe in miracle..."_
    What kind of miracle do I supposedly believe in?
    Be specific and point it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think what they're trying to say is that Delphi is crap, so we'd better find alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kind of like reading articles about Apple where the Anti-Apple folk read the articles, and then proceed to tell you how bad Apple is.  If you don't like Apple, then why read Apple related articles?  If you don't like Delphi, why not use C#, Objective C, C++, Java, QT, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  12. marc hoffman More native than Oxygene generated exe :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mihaela Mihaljevic Jakic except that's not really the case.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please, no turf wars ;)

    We'll see how it pans out as it matures.  Right now, Oxygene is another option - but Smart Mobile Studio might best them both ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lars Fosdal just correcting misconceptions. Oxygene for Cocoa is full y native, in every sense,me an Embarcadero's.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment