It's happened... I have a new job, and some of the code is worth of Nick Hodges commentary:

It's happened... I have a new job, and some of the code is worth of Nick Hodges commentary:

    if Data[i] in [' ', '|'] then
    begin
      delete(result, i, 1);
      insert('|', result, i);
      Exit;
    end;

(bonus: this is in Delphi 2010 so I found it via the "widechar reduced to byte in set expressions" warning)

The good news is that because it's a vaguely recent Delphi I can start using OmniThreadLibrary again! We have threading, and threading issues, and a willingness to try OTL to avoid writing our own. Exciting!

Comments

  1. Yeah, it is strange how some developers have an aversion for writing reusable code.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They should start with a number and deduct a sum per line of code :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Willo, I think that would encourage obfuscated-C style coding. Although Delphi does have a line length limit, unlike C. I prefer to use soft metrics, and keep them evolving as people start to game them (or as the defects are revealed). I vaguely recall reading evidence to the effect that static metrics will always be gamed to death, even by programmers who are trying to be good. Wish I could remember where I found it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment