So what's your thoughts on this? I like the 3.14 multiplier, but often use the IBM calculation - upgrade the estimate to the next unit and multiply the value by two [used for developers that we know have bad estimations]. eg: 1 hour estimate becomes 2 days. :)

So what's your thoughts on this? I like the 3.14 multiplier, but often use the IBM calculation - upgrade the estimate to the next unit and multiply the value by two [used for developers that we know have bad estimations]. eg: 1 hour estimate becomes 2 days. :)
http://coding.abel.nu/2012/06/programmer-time-translation-table/

Comments

  1. The chart looked pretty accurate to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. During the time in my life when my work was designing television stations, we used CPM (Critical Path Method) to decompose and diagram the workflow. My rule of thumb at the time was that any task estimated at a week or more was a wild-assed guess, and needed further decomposition. It isn't just software design which is difficult to estimate; we are notoriously bad at estimating tasks of any sort which are too large to detail in our heads.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment