I am looking for suggestions on some code rework.

I am looking for suggestions on some code rework.
Given: Data import from a spreadsheet, with column names in the first row. Column order and count are now subject to change.

I must import to a grid, and in the grid, present in-place editors as well as validation for the import data. Numerous of the editors are combo boxes populated from the DB.

What I thought to do was define in a const array the things I must know for each column (column name, header, field name, and so on), and to define this statically. While that works well enough, maintenance of the array is a mind-numbing affair, and as I am now dealing with 9 items for each column, and over 40 columns, well, it's not pretty.

I'd appreciate suggestions from anyone with a neater solution to taming this monster.

Comments

  1. Dorin Duminica "don't fight the alias stuff too much, you'll need it very soon!"

    You really want to spoil my morning, don't you? ;)

    This app has to produce data which meets Federal requirements, so there are limits on how free-form some things can get. However, if I need to deal with multiple names for any given column, I can do that with CSV constants, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I shut up now, dealing with my own demons right now ((:

    have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorin Duminica Keep weapons at the ready, the demons are persistent. ;)

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment