Anyone using Delphi XE# with SDL 2.0?

Anyone using Delphi XE# with SDL 2.0?
After a stressful fight against FireMonkey to allow  me direct access to TBitmap I've realized that the solution for what want is SDL 2.0

I think this is the most recent updated  and maintained  headers conversion : 
https://github.com/ev1313/Pascal-SDL-2-Headers
(While JEDI-SDL isn't updated since 2008)

I'm using Delphi XE3,  if you have any experince usind SDL 2 or a suggestion for better library wrapper  would be very welcomed! 
Thanks!
https://github.com/ev1313/Pascal-SDL-2-Headers

Comments

  1. Which kind of application do you plan to write? Why is SDL better suited than FireMonkey?

    btw: Firemonkey had many improvement since XE3. It is growing fast. You should update your XE3 to XE5, taking a maintenance contract to get updates for an interesting fixed price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mainly 2D games with thousands of animated sprites, image processing, real-time simulations...   
     
    After my research I think SDL 2.0 is more mature mufti-platform framework for games and low level graphics, while Firemonkey still need a  lot of improvement; has lot of bugs and slow performance ( https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=85426  -- ) 
      
     I was giving  an opportunity to FMX  ;) But it can't give me something that simple like a surface or texture buffer in system memory for direct pixel access They just decide  to limit TBitmap.PixelFormat to read-only, then I can't work with 32bits pixel routines without format conversion, as I always did before with VCL.

     Also SDL give me easy solutions for Fullscreen handling, input (keys, mouse, joystick) , sound/music playback... and more..

    Anyway I'm planning to benchmark 2D graphics both sides to make a fair comparison.

     Finally, some one could say me I'm in the "wrong" language&IDE for game developing but I love Delphi and I still believe in its potential :D beyond databases.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment