I posted my first impressions of Delphi XE 5 in the appropriate group.

I posted my first impressions of Delphi XE 5 in the appropriate group.

Please feel free to comment.

A

Originally shared by Andrea Raimondi

My first impressions of XE 5.


Context:

To try it, I created a Virtual Machine and installed Windows 8.1 Enterprise Edition trial.

Then I put on Java and the Android SDK.

Last I installed Delphi XE 5 with the option to install its Android support, because I wasn't sure of what I had and what I needed.

Thus, the first obvious option here is: please autodetect and install only what is needed and currently absent. I know it's a lot of work, but it's really worth it.

Now, given that my setup was a bit awkard, I will concede that maybe this wasn't a very well tested configuration - I understand that and concede that it's possibly unusual.

HOWEVER:

Everything went really well until I tried to run a simple application.
Please note that by "simple" I mean an auto-generated project with just a Text property on the header panel changed to my liking.
I was using the "Header and Footer With Navigation" project.

When I tried to run the application, the IDE quite rightly told me there was no emulator running and asked me whether I wanted to run it, to which I said yes. At that point, things took a rather awkard turn for the worse, because the IDE wouldn't let go of the emulator to actually start the application. Either that or the process is so incredibly slow that it just doesn't feel it's doing anything.

I rather suspect there's a CreateProcess behind the whole thing and thus the IDE just keeps a hold of the emulator, forgetting to put the application on.

Plus, if you close the emulator while the IDE has got hold of it, things tend to go wrong, I even got a license problem once and it wouldn't let me operate Delphi.
I had to start it again to be able to do anything.

Summing up: I think it needs some more work.
The fact there's no option to start the emulator in the Tools menu is very bad, because that would've got me going - please be mindful I did look for it as the first thing before trying to run the application.

I also tried to see if the platform options would allow me to run the emulator, but no luck.

I also tried to start it on my own, without success.

That option would really be helpful.

Also helpful would be a clear distinction between the emulator starting dialog and the application starting one - so that it doesn't look like the Delphi IDE is waiting on the emulator.

Hopefully these first impressions will make sense to you, if not, sorry, I'll try to clarify as much as possible.

A

Comments

  1. Emulators should not executed in the VM. It is known that they running slow. Run the emulator on de Host system. Install the PAServer on the Host. Then it runs fine and fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. in addition to Jean-Marc Kiener 's comment, I'd add that you'd probably want to run the app on a device rather than emulating it, I've ran Windows VM inside of Windows VM and worked great, android emulator is f*ckindiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Compiler options debug info, if "full debug", produces a big debug info apk. It runs faster if set to "limited debug info" (or Release mode)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dorin Duminica - The Windows VM in a VM still runs native instructions.  The Android Emulator has to fake ARM on x86, which is quite a bit heavier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lars Fosdal assuming that the virtualization tech is supported on your CPU, right?
    android emulator(including the intel VM) was ant-slow last time I played with them, testing on a device is the fastest way IMO

    ReplyDelete
  6. The device doesn't have to emulate an instruction set it doesn't have, so naturally that would be quicker.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment