IDE FixPack 5.4.1 shows 36.5% increase in BUILD speed under Delphi XE2 Update 4 HotFix 1 with a ~1million line project; from 25 seconds to only 16 seconds!


IDE FixPack 5.4.1 shows 36.5% increase in BUILD speed under Delphi XE2 Update 4 HotFix 1 with a ~1million line project; from 25 seconds to only 16 seconds!

I was really surprised to find this out and only recently realized that I didn't have it installed for this version of Delphi. 

Honestly, I had thought it was just to fix bugs in the IDE. I was shocked to find out compilation is much faster and the IDE is a lot zippier. Hurray for IDE Fix Pack!!

But, why doesn't EmbT implement these same fixes themselves? That's what's confusing to me.

http://andy.jgknet.de/blog/ide-tools/ide-fix-pack-2009-10/

Comments

  1. That's pretty incredible Krystian Bigaj , 1600 units decreasing from 62 s to 25 s. Very nice. IDEFixPack is certainly a great tool for many, many years now!

    My setup is a Windows 7, 24GB RAM, SSD for OS and RAID0+1 SSD for the Delphi VM + Source running under VMworkstation 10.0.1 as a 8 proc, 12 GB vm-image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've updated screenshots (previously was as a private one):
    http://goo.gl/AS3v5C
    http://goo.gl/1L5zXu
    It went down from 122s to 25s :)

    I can guess that, if there will be IDEFix Pack for XE6, then it will speed up Build more than 5x-5.5x ;)

    @Vin Colgin: does your RAID setup helps in any way Build/Compile when you use SSD, or it's mainly for fault tolerance? And why Delphi on VM? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. +Krystian Bigaj I've used Delphi in a VM for about 10 years. Mostly because I want to maintain a work environment no matter what happens.

    Sh*t Happens you know, over the long-haul, I feel like I've lost source-code and environments in every way conceivable. This specific environment is about 5 years old now and I haven't loss anything, despite various hardware failure, reinstallations, etc.

    This is the reason for sing a VM-image on a RAID0+1, as mirrored+striped. 

    == CrystalDiskMark Performance
    RAID0+1 SSD with Areca-1880i
    READ:1452 MB/s WRITE:349.2 MB/s.

    This is compared to :
    ** 101.0/101.9 MB/s for a simple mechanical single-spindle Sata3 HD
    ** 1016/515 MB/s for a RAID0 SSD with Areca-1880i

    RAID0 is certainly faster than a spindle; and going from RAID0 to RAID0+1 boosts READ (+43%) and decreases WRITE (-32%). So, there's certainly a trade-off for the mirror.

    Maintenance: I tear down the raid and rebuild it; as something about the "wear leveling" degrades that performance about 20% after a year of usage.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment