Newbie XE5 question here (though long-time Delphi developer, from 1996 through 2001): I'm finding the editor really frustrating how you can click past the end of the line, and how the left and right arrow keys don't move you forward and backward lines when at the end/front of a line (eg position cursor at front of line, press left, would like to be at end of line above.)

Newbie XE5 question here (though long-time Delphi developer, from 1996 through 2001): I'm finding the editor really frustrating how you can click past the end of the line, and how the left and right arrow keys don't move you forward and backward lines when at the end/front of a line (eg position cursor at front of line, press left, would like to be at end of line above.)

Surely this is a setting somewhere? I really don't recall if it was this way when I used to use Delphi 13 years ago or if I have just become accustomed to Visual Studio. I have looked through Tools/Options but can't find a relevant setting. Any suggestions? Thanks !

Comments

  1. Using XE5, I can click past the end of line. I don't remember having set anything special in the editor configuration for that. In the options/editor/source/Pascal, I have checked Auto Indent,, Smart Tab, Cursor through tabs, backspace unindent, show tab character, use syntax highlight and highlight current line.

    For left/right cursor at the beginning/end of line, it works just as I like: staying on the same line. If I want to change line, I use up/down Arrow.

    I use Default key mapping module. I've not even tried other ones. There is one for Visual Studio emulation, maybe you should try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Delphi editor has always allowed you to position past the end of the line. Consequently, the left/right arrow keys to not move up/down lines. Thirteen years ago you probably used Delphi 7. The editor there worked the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably not much help, but pressing Ctrl+Left at the start of a line moves the caret to the end of the previous one, and similarly, Ctrl+Right at the end of a line moves to the left of the first character in the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. Wow, I guess I did use the editor this way for all that time, but have simply forgotten after using Visual Studio since.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a setting for this in Tools -> Options -> Editor Options: Uncheck "Cursor Beyond EOF"  That will fix the behavior to work more like you're expecting.  It's one of the first things I toggle in a new IDE installation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anthony Frazier That setting is off by default. The OP wants a 'Cursor Beyond EOL' option to turn off...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment