Curious on your opinion regarding this article. Personally, I would like to see 64bit compiler for OSX and iOS and smaller application size on mobile. I don't have a problem with Firemonkey not using native UI controls, as I can skin it the way I want it. Last but not least, what is the Oxygene alternative to Firemonkey's visual designer? I don't see any.

Curious on your opinion regarding this article. Personally, I would like to see 64bit compiler for OSX and iOS and smaller application size on mobile. I don't have a problem with Firemonkey not using native UI controls, as I can skin it the way I want it. Last but not least, what is the Oxygene alternative to Firemonkey's visual designer? I don't see any.
http://www.remobjects.com/elements/oxygene/vs/delphi.aspx

Comments

  1. Chris Rolliston I guess it's a matter of opinion if one views WinRT as an evolution of .Net.  Regardless, it is not inaccurate to say that Delphi does not yet support WinRT, while Oxygene does.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RunTime#Delphi

    Of course, this may not be of great concern to a developer without a need to support WinRT.  That market is not exactly booming (yet?).

    Are the remarks in the RO article really potshots?  They seem neither random nor expressed without careful thought.  Clearly they are negative towards Delphi, and one may disagree with the marketing tactic, but again, it is the information itself in which I am most interested.

    Anyway, I suppose this old horse is pretty much beaten (again).  I only bothered to chime in not because of any loyalty to RO, but rather to address some points made by others that I felt were inaccurate or unclear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin Powick WinRT is based on an evolution of COM, albeit with a couple of bits borrowed from .NET - a C++ WinRT application doesn't sit on top of the CLR or involve using a .NET'ified version of C++. I never claimed Delphi supports WinRT, because clearly it doesn't, however if/when it does the likelihood is it will do so with a native code compiler not a reborn Delphi.NET.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason Delphi doesn't support WinRT, is because MS didn't open it for others.  Technically, a WinRT binary could be made with Delphi, but the signing part is MS only.  My guess is that now that WinRT has matured a bit, MS will let others play as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment