MemCheck.pas and RecyclerMM.pas: Do you still use them?

MemCheck.pas and RecyclerMM.pas: Do you still use them?

I just found that some of my older stuff has these two units linked, probably since Delphi 7. Now that I'm XE2, I've found these units have issues with Ansi/Unicode and I'm presented with the question "Why am I still using these?!?!?"

Do you use MemCheck or RecyclerMM in a XE2 (or newer) environment.

It seems like MemCheck can be easily removed, as it needs to be initiated at run-time and used in code. But RecyclerMM seems like magic, maybe magic I used to need, but don't know anymore.


https://code.google.com/p/scalemm/source/browse/trunk/Demo/Challenge/RecyclerMM.pas?r=16

http://v.mahon.free.fr/pro/freeware/memcheck/
http://v.mahon.free.fr/pro/freeware/memcheck

Comments

  1. RecyclerMM is a "spiritual" ancestor to FastMM, it's completely superseded by FastMM on all counts.

    Back in the days, findings on RecyclerMM contributed to people realizing how hopelessly outclasses the old BorlandMM was, which spurred the FastCode Memory Manager challenge, from which FastMM was born.
    And FWIW the FastCode challenge demonstrated how hopelessly outclassed all the usual and hyped C memory manager were, BorlandMM wasn't alone in the pit of sluggishness and memory fragmentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gustav Schubert I was referring to RecyclerMM. Which I didn't realize was a precursor to FastMM. 
    Eric Grange Thanks for that information, good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lars, try using NeverSleepOnThreadContention and UseSwitchToThread to improve FastMM's speed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment