Every so often I go back from the latest version of Delphi to older ones (yes, XE2 is old :)) And there seem to be quite a few subtle changes:

Every so often I go back from the latest version of Delphi to older ones (yes, XE2 is old :))  And there seem to be quite a few subtle changes:
* Searching: when the search term isn't found, XE7 leaves the cursor where it was, instead of taking you to line 1 in the file
* Class completion: seems to be particularly finicky in XE2 compared to XE7; in XE2 a method with a syntax error (eg missing semicolon in some places, or even a reference to the method you are trying to class-complete) prevents class completion working, but in XE7 it seems to work far more often
* Flicker: maybe it's my imagination, but the XE2 code editor flickers a lot more than XE7's
...and a few other things I've forgotten. All small, but with a great difference on the experience of using the IDE. With the possible exception of search behaviour, these are not things I recall reading about in the release notes.

Going from old to new, I noticed nothing, which I guess is always the way when something just works. (Silence on the part of your users can be great applause.) Going backwards makes me feel very happy I'm able to use the latest version as often as I do.

Comments