I'm getting an AV error when I shut down the XE4 IDE since adding a TeeChart component to a ReportBuilder report.


I'm getting an AV error when I shut down the XE4 IDE since adding a TeeChart component to a ReportBuilder report.

Error Message:
Access violation at address 5005EB34 in module 'rtl180.bpl'. Read of
address 1229437C.

Each time I seem to get a different Read of address.

This only seems to happen if I double-click the Report component  which opens the RB Designer. If I then close the Designer and then Close the IDE I get an AV error.

When I take the TeeChart component off the report I get the AV the first time I close the IDE. But then I can open and close the ReportBuilder designer at will and the AV is not there.

Can you teach me how to troubleshoot this type of an error?
What is rtl180.bpl?

Thanks in advance. #TeeChart

Comments

  1. Each version of Delphi has a different rtl###.bpl. It is a runtime package that contains all the base functionality of the RTL. This includes the System, SysUtils, Windows, RTTI, Generics.Collections, Math and StrUtils units among others.

    To troubleshoot this error you need to launch another instance of the IDE under a debug session. Without any project loaded in the IDE click Run > Load Process. On the Local tab, in the Process text box type $(BDS)\bin\bds.exe. Then click load.

    The first IDE will usually break at the entry point to the second. Just go ahead and Run until the second IDE is loaded completely. You'll likely encounter several exceptions that are usually hidden from end users.

    Once you're up and running in the second IDE go through the steps to reproduce the AV. When it occurs the you should be prompted to Break and view the source. It will take you to the CPU window instead because the RTL###.bpl package was compiled without debug info. So I hope you understand assembly language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say go to madshi.net and install madExcept (completely free for non commercial use). It also installs into the IDE and shows more information about the exception (like a callstack). That will give more clues about where the error originally came from.
    Second step: contact the RB guys and ask them to fix it providing the information you collected.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment