Marco Cantù's opening keynote from CodeRage 9 is up. I'm listening to it in the background while doing other work.

Marco Cantù's opening keynote from CodeRage 9 is up.  I'm listening to it in the background while doing other work.

Some things that were interesting to me:
 - Gives an overview of the state of Delphi and where Embarcadero see the product to be placed (useful to me, since I want to reply to this thread soon: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1261959 Please don't everyone swarm it at once, a rush of posts by new posters will seem like I'm spamming.)
 - More source control than just Git and SVN is coming (here's hoping for Mercurial!)
 - Focusing on 'developer productivity in the IDE' noting that Delphi used to be great but has fallen behind 'some other products'. This is especially interesting to me, as someone busy writing plugins to make the IDE better ;) I don't know of course what this means - whether it means fixing Error Insight, or whether it means entirely new tools. If the latter, hopefully we won't duplicate efforts too much and Delphi's improvements and the various third-party vendors' products will complement each other nicely. Marco, I do have some suggestions and requests for the ToolsAPI, ie for things us IDE plugin writers would really like, if adding things like that may soon be a priority? VS for example has a huge plugin marketplace and there are some basic things that the ToolsAPI could add that would open up enormous possibilities - things that I at least am coding myself, but it would be nice not to have to.

http://delphi-insider.blogspot.com/2014/11/object-pascal-opening-keynote-from.html

Comments