Need Suggestion: Local DB and Driver for XE2 VCL app

Need Suggestion: Local DB and Driver for XE2 VCL app

I'm looking to dump the storage-mechanism that I've been using (flat, text files) in favor of a database. Basically, I'm moving into a different customer market that needs more reporting and my current method of loading/saving flat text-files into/from a TObjectList is just not cutting it.

It's been a while since I looked into this and most of my googling turns up results that just look stale. In previous apps, I used ZeosLIB and MySQL. It seems like that's still an option, by replacing MySQL with FireBird, but I'd like to get opinions.

My requirements are:
1) Still actively supported and developed
2) Works with Delphi PRO XE2 VCL 32-Bit
3) Supports latest XE(X) with 32/64-Bit VCL/FMX (later migration)
4) Uses local DB files for storage with no external service needed (everything should run in the EXE or linked DLLs aka "embedded")
5) License is free allows for royalty free redistribution in software
6) Easily packaged up for installation programs 
7) Supports SQL and RDBMS
8) Inexpensive

NOTE: I understand FireDAC is a product offered directly from EMB, but it doesn't appear that XE2 is supported and would require the purchasing/porting of my code to at least XE3. This would kill my #8 requirement (Inexpensive), as porting the code to the latest XE(x) is outside of my current project scope and I'd prefer not to have my DB engine so closely coupled to the version of Delphi I use.

Comments

  1. Eivind Bakkestuen Thanks for pointing me the informaion. I'll check it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eivind Bakkestuen NexusDB looks great, but an off topic wanna ask you:
    1/ Can Free Embedded db handle more than one concurrent connections?
    2/ Can Free Embbedded db use in commercial purpose?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, the Embedded Free version is also called "single user" because that is what is supported and licensed. Note that you can (and are allowed to by licensing) to have multiple sessions from within the same single user application. What you can't do is use the database from more than one application (the first to connect locks the files), or use it in any form of middleware solutions where there's more than one actual user (license limitation).
    You can use it for commercial purposes; if you happen to make millions, come back and buy a license or two to keep us in business. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment