Q: FMX and Lollipop

Q: FMX and Lollipop

In the beginning, we had VCL. It tried to keep up with Windows development. But often times, new UI or features would be released by MS with immediate support via Visual Studio and we'd have to port the headers ourselves or work with component developers. 

I'm considering a move to Android development, but I'm torn between using Java against the SDK or using FMX and leveraging my Pascal.

My fear is that FMX will not keep up with Android development and my product would always lag with the state-of-the-art, because I need to wait for a new FMX version to use the android features.

Is this a concern with FMX? Can it target XE7's FMX to the latest Android Lollipop version and immediately use it's features?

Comments

  1. I have to question the basic premise.  Remember that Delphi 2007 had Vista support available before Visual Studio did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mason Wheeler You must be very new to Delphi. The Taskbar components released in XE7 (2014) to support a control that was released in Windows 7 (2009). Ribbons components were released by MS in 2007, Delphi didn't get them until late 2008. XP Themes, Unicode, 64-bit, high DPI, etc, etc, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If by "very new" you mean "using it since version 1, back in the 90s" then I suppose I am.  I'm just pointing out that this is hardly a universal thing.

    Besides, ribbons are horrible, and I'd really rather that they never got implemented in Delphi. :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment