Reading ESRI shape files: Examples needed

Reading ESRI shape files: Examples needed

I am currently working on a Delphi library for reading ESRI shape files (writing them will probably follow). The format is quite simple and implementing the library is nearly done. Unfortunately I cannot find example data files for the following shape types:
* Multipoint
* PointZ
* PolygonZ
* MultipointZ 
* PointM
* PolylineM
* PolygonM
* MultipointM

Of course I tried Google and found quite a lot of interesting data available, but currently  I don't need interesting data but examples of the different types of shape files.

Can anybody help?
http://www.esri.com/library/whitepapers/pdfs/shapefile.pdf

Comments

  1. I can't provide examples, but in a previous job I worked with them a little for maps, and I remember map ESRI files often had a wide variety of different types of shape. You only had to use a subset to produce something sensible onscreen, but there were usually a lot of shape types in the file. Those maps were, I think, freely available and were of the entire world and various countries. Perhaps if you can find them or something similar they'll contain something useful?

    I know you need examples not data, but if you can find good data perhaps you can extract examples from that data.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to the technical description, each file can only hold one shape type: "All the non-Null shapes in a shapefile are required to be of the same shape type". My program should already be able to handle shape files that contain different shape types, even thought this does not comply with the technical description.
    Via Google I found many files that are available for download, but unfortunately they usually contain only Points, PolyLine or Polygon shapes. These, my program reads fine. What I need now are the more uncommon shape types which I listed above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where have you tried? Perhaps people on the ESRI G+ group (https://plus.google.com/communities/106843884951833794338) or the ESRI forums (https://geonet.esri.com/places) would be able to help. There'll be more shapefile-using people to see a post in either of those places too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked at the first two pages of https://www.google.com/search?q=download+example+esri+shape+files and the links from there. I'll try the ESRI G+ communities, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only things I've found are datasets containing Points, Polygons, and PolyLines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. pls write me your email privately. I will send you an example (unit from very old project). Maybe it will be useful for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment