I'm migrating an old application (D5) that uses QuickReport to XE7 and FastReports.

I'm migrating an old application (D5) that uses QuickReport to XE7 and FastReports.  So far FastReports is really excellent, but I wanted to pick the hivemind's brain for the best approach to replicating existing functionality.

One report needs to crossreference data from two datasets.  The first  is a TMemDataSet (JEDI) containing temp data.  The other is a permanent table on a server (SQL).  The two tables do not have a master/detail relationship predefined.  I want to list records from the MemDataSet along with a few fields from the SQL table, for comparison's sake.

The QuickReport I am replacing used direct TDataSet.FindKey() lookup calls in the BeforePrint() event for the band, and populated QRLabels in the band.  This feels wrong/dirty and does not appear to be easily replicated in FastReport.

I can temporarily establish a master/detail relationship between the tables, and Master/Detail bands on the FastReport to print proper values, but I wanted to check in before I spent any effort on it in case there is a simple, more obvious , or better still "right" solution to what I am trying to do.

Thanks in advance to any who can offer suggestions.

NOTE: These tables are from different DBMS's so I can't just join them in a query or something simple like that...

Comments