Poor man's translation tool?

Poor man's translation tool?
We need to do a multilingual version of a command line tool and I was thinking ... yeah, I know ... that is usually the first point of warning before I get into trouble. Anyways - this is what I came up with this evening.

I guess this is pretty much a brute force approach - but it appears to have some advantages - such as enforcing coverage of every language that you declare (it won't compile if you missed a language in a translation constant), allowing you to declare the translations near where they are used, and not adding much bulk to the source code.

But - let me run this by you guys and ask - apart from the obvious reasons that there are actual translation tools out there - is there a reason that I really should not venture down this path?  What are the worst traits of this approach?  Note that I would use it  for only three languages (English, Norwegian and Swedish).

Come on - I want opinions - so don't hold back, but feel free to suggest alternatives as well.

http://pastebin.com/g3DwKNAu
http://pastebin.com/g3DwKNAu

Comments