Any known major/breaking changes in FireMonkey or FireDAC between XE7 and XE8?

Any known major/breaking changes in FireMonkey or FireDAC between XE7 and XE8?

I'm looking to pick up and maintain/develop some FireMonkey/FireDAC Delphi XE7 work for a client. Right now I'm trying to organise will be, to me anyway, a significant upgrade cost (from XE3 Rad Studio Enterprise).
While I sort the funding for that, I thought I'd grab an XE8 trial (the XE7 trials have understandably been removed) and get to grips with the basics of FireMonkey and FireDAC - XE3 was a long time ago.

I'm just wondering if there's much significant change between XE7 and XE8 from a FireMonkey or FireDAC perspective - am I going to find that, if I step back a version to XE7 in a month's time, I'll have lots of new headaches & gotchas, lots of things that worked in XE8 but don't work the same XE7?

Anyone any thoughts - all input most gratefully received :-)

tl,dr; Starting an XE8 trial while I sort out funding to upgrade my XE3 license. Client has a FireMonkey & FireDAC XE7 project. Wondering how much of a problem it would be, to play with XE8 in the short term.

Comments

  1. BTW - this is for desktop work, not mobile. I'm not worried if there are major mobile differences between XE7 and XE8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found a few breaking changes in FireDAC, see #xe8 posts. There may be more, but the ones I've seen, have been trivial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LongWord and LongInt can now be either 32 bit or 64 bit (on iOS 64 bit target). But if you are going to make iOS apps then you can only do it with XE8 anyway as 64 bit is required to submit to app store.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment