How long ago did you start using Delphi?

Comments

  1. > 20 years ago :-D . That's a good one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boian Mitov Do the math buddy. :) Delphi had its 20 anniversary 2 months ago - so everyone that started with Delphi 1 on release did that > 20 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stefan Glienke Yeah... if you count by months :-) . But it's OK ;-) . So far 30% have been from the beginning. and 0 less than 5 years. I hope this changes, otherwise it indicates almost no new developers :-( .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boian Mitov I know this is not representative but at least we can see a trend. Or maybe it's just the old geezers hanging out here :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stefan Glienke I hope, and think, its the later. The youngsters are probably busy coding while we are goofing here, and recalling the good ol' time :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Started with Turbo Pascal and never looked back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used Turbo Pascal starting with 3.0.  But this poll is about Delphi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok Phillip Woon, Delphi 1.0 and never looked Back!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Starter with Turbo Pascal 5.x in 1989 and Turbo C 1.01 in 1989 or 1990.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used Compas Pascal on CP/M at college on a HP machine, and when my dad got TP 2.0 and 3.0 on CP/M on the Memotech MTX 512 in 1984, I was hooked. My first commercial project was porting a DEC Rainbow Pascal program to TP4 on PC-DOS in 1987. I became quite fond of TPW 1 and 1.5 - and was actually a bit upset that Delphi deviated so largely from the OWL, but I got over it :) I've used every version since then, except Delphi 8.

    ReplyDelete
  11. From 1st version :) and Turbo Pascal also before

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alex Egorov You are not that OLD, Ha Ha Ha . Staring from pascal 3.5 much before Turbo pascal. It was when Microprocessor 6800 and 8080.
    Yes not 8085.As a matter of fact my programming demo was on 8008!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where are the new developers? EMB needs to get younger persons on board

    ReplyDelete
  14. Godfrey Fletcher Yes. But this needs to be a business/company driven action. It will not be possible to attract young developers given the current pricing. So they need to convince companies that it is worth it, those companies need to train/hire staff and by that the percentage might increase.
    The problem IMO is still that companies decide on market share they go .NET (MS), JAVA (Oracle), ABAP (SAP) because the decision makers do not risk anything if they make decisions everybody else makes. If they dare to be "exotic" and do inhouse OO SOA with (C++, Pascal (Delphi, Lazarus) and integration based on top of opensource or other smaller devhouse products/component sets - that might be excellent but are not the common plattform - they will be thrown out if something goes wrong, because they did not go with the "Standard".
    It is refreshing to see offers in the Pascal/Delphi ecospace again that are very well suited to argument for it in Business Objects environments that are C#/JAVA/ABAP dominated at the moment ... eg.

    https://www.tmssoftware.com/site/aurelius.asp

    ... or the performance of ...

    http://synopse.info/forum/viewforum.php?id=2

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting demographics. Not really surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wonder about the outcome when this were asked on Facebook. Same for the poll about age.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I started using Delphi from version 4, but I was TP user long before that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wonder how the result would look like if a free starter version would be available? I remember a time - many years ago - where the forums where flooded with questions from users who used the free Delphi versions. It should be safe to assume these would go into the <5 years category.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I started with TP 1.0 on CP/M. Been in Pascal ever since, though I have also worked commercially in C, C++ and Lisp.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I started using Delphi in September of 1994.

    ReplyDelete
  21. IIRC Feb. 1995.... D1 / 16-bit, started with UCSD-Pascal in 1983 on TI-99/4A with a p-code-card, funny time

    ReplyDelete
  22. I started using Delphi from version 7 o/\o

    ReplyDelete
  23. TP 2 in 1984 (coming from UCSD Pascal)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I bought Delphi 1 when it was presented in The Cebit in Hannover. I used TP before.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Comparing Age x Start based on people who answered here, we can ask: what version people where using about 11-15 years ago?
    I started with Delphi 5.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Remember using USCD pascal with 8" diskettes.  Then moved to turbo pascal, then to C/DOS, then Delphi 1.0 was released.  been using it ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Did a bit of Turbo Pascal (may still have the books), but started with Delphi 2 in 1996.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mike Margerum I remember trying to use UCSD Pascal with 8" disks. I mostly recall spending more time booting the system than doing productive work.

    ReplyDelete
  29. hehe. Yeh same here.  i think it was a CP/M system.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mike Margerum My recollection was that I booted CP/M, then booted into UCSD, which actually became the OS -- a negative feature, as I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bill Meyer Your memory is way better than mine! I cant really remember much other than those big ass 8" diskettes.  I think in high school is was using USCD pascal on our apple IIe computers.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I remember trying to use USDC on an Apple ][+. It was a nightmare, so as soon as one of the teachers installed Z80 cards in two machines I made the switch to Turbo Pascal. Not strictly legal, but what a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  33. About the comment on Cheap or close to free Delphi compilers, College students can purchase an academic version as long as they provide proof.  It does have some limitations but for a small fee (around $100.00) you get a pretty good compiler to learn how to program.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Richard Baroniunas And with all free tools out there, students have very little incentive to spend even that much on non-mainstream tool. Most of them that are learning Pascal for one reason or another are using Free Pascal.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Started using Delphi with Delphi 1. Started using Borland from Turbo Pascal 5.0. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dalija Prasnikar You are correct, most are using Java based on professors and alot of college students get Microsoft Office and various other tools free.  The free pascal to use is Lazarus but that is hardly known in the college areas within the states.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Richard Baroniunas All true, but in some schools they are taught that Delphi/Pascal are resume killers.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I first used Pascal compiler in early 1972 on a CDC computer. Ran UCSD Pascal/p-system on my Apple II+. Philippe Kahn personally gave me hand written disk labelled 8"cp/m and 5.25" pcdos floppy disks at Comdex Las Vegas November 1983.

    More recently Kenneth Bowles (creator of UCSD p-system) used Delphi to build apps to keep track of his digital photography image libraries :D

    ReplyDelete
  39. Web site for 25th anniversary of the UCSD Pascal and p-system - http://www.jacobsschool.ucsd.edu/Pascal/

    ReplyDelete
  40. Delphi is taught is most South African high schools. Delphi is taught in a bunch of government sponsored schools in Russia.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Half of US colleges teach java and half teach c++ in their core curriculum.

    For mobile classes most colleges teach either objective-c or java depending on whether the school lab has iphone or android phone. Stanford, has the most popular itunes university ios classes, recently did the class using Swift.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Not surprised that most developers came in when Delphi was a scoop in the early days. I started using Delphi because they taught Pascal+TurboVision at my University, but I think Delphi has suffered for many years because it was stuck with Windows. Now we have FMX, but I think it is still too much work in progress for newcomers. As soon as we have a mature solution with high stability and reliability then it has a lot to offer - also for people that do not have a preference for Pascal/Delphi.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Simon Stuart it is. Delphi started 20+ years ago. Even longer if you count AppBuilder, Wasabi, Mango and other code names.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Simon Stuart Delphi was published 14 Feb. 1995, and today is > 14 Feb 2015, so > 20 years. 

    Moreover, I started working with Delphi in November 1994, a month later than Nick. So now we are both in violation of agreements signed 20+ years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Jeroen Wiert Pluimers I count Wasabi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Simon Stuart More than it should be, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Lars Fosdal​ no it wasn't. I might have it somewhere. If memory serves me well it isn't ebony either. Need to go through my archives one day to complete old entries in http://delphi.wikia.com/wiki/Delphi_Release_Dates

    ReplyDelete
  48. I wrote an installation manager for my client-server application in 1999 using Delphi 5. The application itself was written in vb6. Delphi was, for me, was quite remarkable because I did not have to install any run-time files to make it work.

    I then found the original version of Visual Studio to be more annoying than helpful. By the time 2010 rolled around it was increasingly difficult to do the things I wanted to do in vb6 running in a modern OS. I was bedeviled by sub-classing problems making the IDE unstable. So I bought a copy of Delphi XE. It took me 2 years to learn the Object Pascal port the application so that I could:

    1) Write something more trivial than an installation manager.
    2) Coordinate translating the app into 9 additional languages.
    3) Create an application that doesn't look like a museum piece.

    I had numerous annoyances with Delphi that I may write about some other time; but here are the positives:

    1) The lack of external dependencies other than the OS and language files has reduced my support time dramatically. As a one-man band ISV, this is huge.
    2) Being able to include the report designer component of Fast-Reports has increased value to my customers and allows me to say you can design them yourself or I will do it for you at the posted hourly rate. This was not a possible response using Crystal Reports; you remember, named licenses and additional fees.
    3) The IDE for me is comparatively stable. Code insight and error insight are laughable and pathetic. However, most of the time the IDE does not crash.

    I purchased a copy of XE7 but I am still finding little issues. On the whole, developing for Delphi for the Win32 platform has been a better experience than working with Microsoft tools. As a Microsoft Partner I get Visual Studio for free. The cost of upgrades and subscriptions for Delphi will almost assure that I venture no farther than XE7. If I am fortunate enough to live long enough, I cannot visualize being XE37 fifteen years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Delphi 1 - before that Turbo Pascal  -- Maybe version 2?  Still have a thing for that old Turbo Pascal.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Just casted my vote and saw the results. There are many ways to interpret. This what came to my mind :

    Over 65% who voted are really old timers. That's a cause of worry. Whatever the reasons are, new guys are not getting on. I am not sure why. Maybe because Delphi has become a bit unaffordable so companies rather use other software and train their guys there. Makes business sense.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Nirav Kaku Easy there, youngster. We're not old timers, we're seasoned developers. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment