I'm currently installing the update for Delphi XE7 (in preparation for installing XE8). I never install the C++ Builder part, and didn't do that this time either. So why is the bloody installer now installing the "Boost Libraries for C++Builder"?

I'm currently installing the update for Delphi XE7 (in preparation for installing XE8). I never install the C++ Builder part, and didn't do that this time either. So why is the bloody installer now installing the "Boost Libraries for C++Builder"?

It says "(This could take an extended period of time.)". No, it takes bloody forever. I am beginning to wonder whether there is a modal dialog somewhere in the background asking me whether I really want to install that stuff.

Comments

  1. In XE8 they removed the Boost Installer from the main installer. You can still install Boost from the ISO yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its probably too late, but you can uncheck the Boost libs in the installer for IDE versions < XE8.  That speeds up the install by about 3 cups of coffee and a chat with the receptionist. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin McCoy I didn't see this option. Maybe it's only there if you install C++Builder?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So - you have only Delphi installed, not C++Builder, yet it's installing Boost anyway?
    That is bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David Millington that's what I meant by "I never install the C++Builder part".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thomas Mueller I don't recall if the Boost Library item is under the control of the CBuilder "install switch".  It probably is.  You might try selecting CBuilder, deselecting Boost and then deselecting CBuilder and then running the installer.  It seems odd that the installer would still add Boost if you only install Delphi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am still at XE2 and the more Updates there are, the more I am afraid I will never do them.

    I don't have the time to go from one update to another, reinstall all components, some of them which have to be changed in their source code and eventually reconfigure all this stuff so that the behaviour of the IDE is as it was before. IMHO, the update cycle is too often, too time consuming and too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rüdiger Hahn
    That is a very sane and safe attitude. And I share it. However I am told, that mobile developers need to adhere to the tight update schedule, or else they wont be able to support current OS versions or devices. VCL developers have not gotten a lot of love from Emba since XE2, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment