Is there any way to change the default GetIt URL for the Rest API (http://getit.embarcadero.com/) ?

Is there any way to change the default GetIt URL for the Rest API (http://getit.embarcadero.com/) ?
Sometimes we may have some private or unknown components (unlisted in the official GetIt server) which we would like to install it using GetIt on our machines from a local repository, so it would be nice to change the default URL to take advantage of GetIt.
I was digging a little bit the response (JSON) text, and it was easy to replicate with my own custom Rest API server (using PhalconPHP), I added the 127.0.0.1 getit.embarcadero.com to hosts file.
Now, I am able to install some components that are not listed in the GetIt client. It works well, and I'm sure it will work on a network using a DNS proxy server setup correctly to use one machine as the components repository, as well as the custom rest api server.
However, if we are going to use another non-official repository online the hosts file trick won't work, so it would be nice if we could change the default GetIt URL.
If that is not possible, at least we can write a simple application to act as a rest api proxy using the hosts file trick, getting info from another source from the internet, once retrieved, it can be returned to the GetIt client using the fake getit.embarcadero.com URL.
So, if there is a possibility to change the default GetIt URL, it would be perfect.
#mods #tricks #playing
Source http://getit.embarcadero.com shows the Rest API functionality documented, at least it is understandable.
We don't really want developers to fork GEtIt repositories, and the license has restrictions in that regard. For local components, it might come handy but it is also very simple to manage the same installation process in a more traditional way, as the discovery part is often less relevant.
ReplyDeleteWe are considering several future extensions, and interested in suggestions.
Marco Cantù why the submission process is not documented at all?
ReplyDeleteRoman Yankovsky Because it is currently manual. The submission web site is not ready. Just email me and I can forward the required fields. I guess we need to publish the submission document ASAP.
ReplyDeleteMarco Cantù Is there an automatable way of installing via GetIt (via command line)?
ReplyDeleteSteffen Binas Not sure.
ReplyDeleteMarco Cantù "For local components, it might come handy but it is also very simple to manage the same installation process in a more traditional way" If I can disagree: This is one of the big things with a package manager that would be /incredibly/ useful.
ReplyDeleteFor example, if you develop your own components, you probably need a specific version of them installed when you load a specific version of your app. (Eg, to patch a bug or build the previous release.) You need to be able to open the project file and have its dependencies - specific versions of specific components - automatically installed.
GetIt as is is cool, but it needs to address stuff like this.
Is GetIt submission available for commercial components, too? Or only open source? A well, I think we will just wait for the submission process to materialize.
ReplyDeleteMarkus Müller I'd wish it would be, but I cannot imagine how the licensing could be unified across all vendors. Let's wait and see. Maybe if vendors could set up an own getit-server?
ReplyDeleteMarco Cantù How to submit Open Source libraries to be hosted in the official repository? We have already been asked by some of our users to integrate our SynPdf library (which is much more advanced than PowerPdf), or the mORMot ORM/SOA framework to GitIt.
ReplyDeleteA. Bouchez See Marco's reply above :)
ReplyDeleteNo configurable repositories? Wow, that's a dick move (not completely unexpected, mind you.)
ReplyDelete