I really, Really, REALLY hate when I hit F1 by mistake, it's like the gates of Hell open wide and you're paying for all your and your ancestors sins; add to that that it's almost worthless and things get even MORE frustrating...
Bill Meyer It's getting better and it seems to be on the right way. It's finally the first place again for looking for help. It also looks like the old but still relevant content from Delphi 7 is back.
So no more stuck dexplore.exe you have to kill in the task manager?
And it works: I placed the cursor on TForm, hit F1, and got the help page for TForm. Navigating links or the index is instantaneous.
However it is still not back to old help levels: with the help window open, if you search for TForm, it will not find it (in either the index or the search tab).
Why oh why can't they design their own help browser? SQLite DB for the pages & FTS, Chromium or IE browser for display, all performance and search problems solved in a few days of work...
I remember learning Delphi with the aid of the integrated Help. It contained examples for what looked like even the smallest and unimportant of the properties of the most insignificant object in the VCL :-)
Really? Unbeliveable
ReplyDeleteI really, Really, REALLY hate when I hit F1 by mistake, it's like the gates of Hell open wide and you're paying for all your and your ancestors sins; add to that that it's almost worthless and things get even MORE frustrating...
ReplyDeleteFast is nice, but has the quality of content improved?
ReplyDeleteBill Meyer It's getting better and it seems to be on the right way. It's finally the first place again for looking for help. It also looks like the old but still relevant content from Delphi 7 is back.
ReplyDeleteF1... What the hell is F1????? I cannot remember....
ReplyDeleteGreat news Fred Ahrens , as I still use D7 help file.
ReplyDeleteDalija Prasnikar Perhaps next, there will be a return to actual manuals. You remember manuals? ;)
ReplyDeleteI have to ask: How does a discussion of Delphi help get to be "off-topic"?
ReplyDeleteBill Meyer "off-topic" is the best match when looking at the available community categories
ReplyDeleteSo no more stuck dexplore.exe you have to kill in the task manager?
ReplyDeleteAnd it works: I placed the cursor on TForm, hit F1, and got the help page for TForm. Navigating links or the index is instantaneous.
However it is still not back to old help levels: with the help window open, if you search for TForm, it will not find it (in either the index or the search tab).
Why oh why can't they design their own help browser?
SQLite DB for the pages & FTS, Chromium or IE browser for display, all performance and search problems solved in a few days of work...
Eric Grange Small steps, I guess. But large steps are needed.
ReplyDeleteI remember learning Delphi with the aid of the integrated Help. It contained examples for what looked like even the smallest and unimportant of the properties of the most insignificant object in the VCL :-)
ReplyDeleteLeonardo Herrera That was a long time ago.
ReplyDeletewow F1 now is working right!! wonderful!!
ReplyDeleteWhen Error Insight would be able to understand even the RTL code, we would start to rejoice...
ReplyDeleteSenad Zeco I call it Error Inside.
ReplyDelete