XE8 first impressions
XE8 first impressions
Installed RadStudio XE8 (Pro) last night and these are my first impressions:
* Registration - Confusing. Having a FireDAC subscription, I learn in XE7 that I have to run the install twice, once with the XE8 serial number and then again with the FireDAC serial number. When it came to start XE8, it complained that I wasn't license for Delphi/C++ and it wasn't until I registered both licenses (via the License Manager) that XE8 finally started nicely.
* Colour scheme - eeek. Tried following the blogs to change this but the blue remains :-(
* Welcome screen - Where are my "favourite project" list? Why is the list of recent project only have the last 5 (five), yet the re-open menu has the default 10 (ten) - should they be sync'ed? How to change the Welcome screen to have more?
* Castalia - What can I say but WOW! After being spoilt with Castalia Suite 5-XE7, when comes with XE8 is, well... it might better off not to have it. So cut down and missing some very nice features (IMO) - and I am still have an active subscription to Castalia (before it was purchased by Emb). Another thing missing is the definable hot-key shortcuts - I used to disable some, I used to remap some but there doesn't seem to be any listed... Does this mean I have to use the menu items now?
* Refactoring tools - In two places...? Duplicating in functionality...?
* Menus - I work on a small screen from time to time and the View menu has so many items that a number of items disappear off the bottom because it still doesn't scroll like real menus :(
* GetIt - Very nice, except that it steals two of my 'Recent Projects' places when it installs a component :( How do we add more items to it?
* UI feels slick :)
* Help starts very quickly - Nice!!!!
While I have only had a couple of hours in the editor, it does seem nice and have convert a couple of projects over to XE8 without any hassle. I can't wait to get my usual add-ons/plug-ins installed and start using it in anger, if you know what I mean :-D
Installed RadStudio XE8 (Pro) last night and these are my first impressions:
* Registration - Confusing. Having a FireDAC subscription, I learn in XE7 that I have to run the install twice, once with the XE8 serial number and then again with the FireDAC serial number. When it came to start XE8, it complained that I wasn't license for Delphi/C++ and it wasn't until I registered both licenses (via the License Manager) that XE8 finally started nicely.
* Colour scheme - eeek. Tried following the blogs to change this but the blue remains :-(
* Welcome screen - Where are my "favourite project" list? Why is the list of recent project only have the last 5 (five), yet the re-open menu has the default 10 (ten) - should they be sync'ed? How to change the Welcome screen to have more?
* Castalia - What can I say but WOW! After being spoilt with Castalia Suite 5-XE7, when comes with XE8 is, well... it might better off not to have it. So cut down and missing some very nice features (IMO) - and I am still have an active subscription to Castalia (before it was purchased by Emb). Another thing missing is the definable hot-key shortcuts - I used to disable some, I used to remap some but there doesn't seem to be any listed... Does this mean I have to use the menu items now?
* Refactoring tools - In two places...? Duplicating in functionality...?
* Menus - I work on a small screen from time to time and the View menu has so many items that a number of items disappear off the bottom because it still doesn't scroll like real menus :(
* GetIt - Very nice, except that it steals two of my 'Recent Projects' places when it installs a component :( How do we add more items to it?
* UI feels slick :)
* Help starts very quickly - Nice!!!!
While I have only had a couple of hours in the editor, it does seem nice and have convert a couple of projects over to XE8 without any hassle. I can't wait to get my usual add-ons/plug-ins installed and start using it in anger, if you know what I mean :-D
Comments
Post a Comment