Does anyone use VirtualBox to install Delphi (XE)? What settings do you use for that?

Comments

  1. I am confused by your question. I have installed XE and others in VBox. I have done under XP and Windows 7. Are you asking about how big a partition? Or how much RAM to assign? The installation process of Delphi is no different than on the host machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RAM, processors, etc. I am asking because some time ago I tried to install XE on VirtualBox, but, to be honest, I was rather disappointed. I would appreciate any clue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, my normal practice if the OS is XP was to provide access to all processors, and 1.5 to 2GB  of RAM. It is more often now that I am using Windows 7 64 bit in the VM (and on the host), and I will provide 3GB of RAM, or more, depending. 

    I have used VBox for over 6 years, and have had little cause for complaint. 

    Do you recall any of your specific concerns? If not, go forward, and if you have questions, I will be happy to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If memory serves, I think you can do XE in a smaller VM with no trouble. I know I have done it with 1GB under XP. Not sure how small you could make it with Windows 7. But that's a factor you can experiment with in settings, so no big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last time I did that, I used a dual core VM with 2 GB of RAM for Windows XP and Delphi XE. I'd bump the RAM up to 4 GB for Windows 7.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm running XE7 in a VM with 3GB of RAM, and it seems quite happy. In VBox (I have not looked closely in VMWare) the footprint of the OS is relatively small. XE was much less bloated than XE7, so unless you have installed all the components know to man, you can probably back off a bit on RAM. 

    But again, as that is a runtime setting, you can play with it till you are happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For the best performance, I heard that a SSD for the virtual disk is must. Of course more RAM and better CPU also helps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I run Delphi (7 and 2010) in VB, XP as guest, with 2GB or RAM. Running quite well on SSD. Using DelphiSpeedUp and IDE Fix Pack help a lot BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you should setup the VM based on your actual hardware first :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me Host with intel Core i5 3470 with 8GB of Ram. VM with WmWare with 3GB of Ram and 2 Core Cpu with win8.1 and XE7. All is ok

    ReplyDelete
  11. Edwin Yip An SSD helps for all kinds of I/O workloads, not just VMs. :-)  I would never go back to a HDD for my OS/Application storage.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment