Hello, I don't have much history with Delphi.

Hello, I don't have much history with Delphi.  I like FireMonkey and program in C++ Builder, but recently I've tried Delphi since RAD Studio seems to work much better with Delphi.

My questions are:

1) How do you know when to call 'Free' on an object?  I know you should whenever you call 'Create', but what about when other methods allocate memory for you and pass you the new reference?  Is this just like in C++ when you can't be sure the function you are calling allocates memory unless it's documented?  Is there a convention for naming methods that allocate memory?

2) If I'm targeting a platform that has ARC in Delphi, what do I do about 'Create' and 'Free' then?  Does anything change from a Delphi developer's point of view?

Thanks in advance!

Comments