I'm having trouble installing Virtual Treeview into Delphi XE. (You can groan for two reasons - that installing packages is pretty basic and I really should know what I'm doing by now, or that I'm using such an old version. Either is fine :))

I'm having trouble installing Virtual Treeview into Delphi XE. (You can groan for two reasons - that installing packages is pretty basic and I really should know what I'm doing by now, or that I'm using such an old version. Either is fine :))

Basically, I have a VT download from http://www.jam-software.de/virtual-treeview/ and it installs fine in XE8 down to XE2. However, when I build the runtime package in XE, it builds successfully but then I get an error:

Can't load package VirtualTreesR15.bpl.
The system cannot find the file specified

The VirtualTreesR15.bpl file exists, and is located along with all my other BPLs in C:\Users\Public\Documents\RAD Studio\8.0\Bpl. This folder is in the path, and in fact I re-added it and restarted XE to check. (Note: I usually do something a bit tricky: to keep the path size down I normally have my system path use a shorter version of the full path, via a junction point c:\DocRS that points to the RAD Studio folder above. I removed this and replaced with the full, unaltered path. No difference. I do the same thing for XE2+ and they are fine.) I have also tried changing XE's package output directory to specify this path specifically, instead of via the BDSCOMMONDIR environment variable, but it gives the same error.

So: so far as I can tell the system paths are ok, the IDE's paths are ok, the BPL exists and is in the same location as all the other BPLs, and yet the IDE won't load it.  Any ideas?

Comments

  1. SOLVED. I updated to 5.5.3 and it worked. Then I noticed it was building and installing the debug build configuration, and I changed it to release - and that did not work.

    Turns out the project settings for the release configuration had the BPL and DCP output directories set to $(ComponentsBin) instead of $(BDSCOMMONDIR)\Dcp and $(BDSCOMMONDIR)\Bpl. And, when I'd checked those settings in the Delphi Options, I had forgotten you can override them in the project options too.

    Thankyou all for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that is why I always complain about library authors not properly configuring their packages - can't count, how many hours I wasted because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, about 3 or 4 hours so far :/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment