Cool, the semantic merge mechaniscm is available for Delphi files too now! So instead of merging and diff'ing line by line, it understands procedures, functions, uses statements etc.
Cool, the semantic merge mechaniscm is available for Delphi files too now! So instead of merging and diff'ing line by line, it understands procedures, functions, uses statements etc.
I can really recommend this great version control system, merging and branching (and the GUI) is a lot better than for example Git.
Note: it already can sync with git (push and pull from github, bitbucket etc) and they are working on git server support too (so the plastic server itself "speaks" git with git clients :) )
http://codicesoftware.blogspot.com/2015/09/custom-languages-in-semantic-version.html
#scm #delphi #plasticscm
http://codicesoftware.blogspot.com/2015/09/custom-languages-in-semantic-version.html
I can really recommend this great version control system, merging and branching (and the GUI) is a lot better than for example Git.
Note: it already can sync with git (push and pull from github, bitbucket etc) and they are working on git server support too (so the plastic server itself "speaks" git with git clients :) )
http://codicesoftware.blogspot.com/2015/09/custom-languages-in-semantic-version.html
#scm #delphi #plasticscm
http://codicesoftware.blogspot.com/2015/09/custom-languages-in-semantic-version.html
Interesting article on smarter merging in Plastic VCS. I wonder how the default mergers in SVN or GIT approaches this?
ReplyDeleteThat's great news! I liked Plastic SCM but no support for pascal semantic merge was a big no-no.
ReplyDeleteHooray, yet another version of the Castalia parser -.- It blew up while parsing Spring.pas btw ;)
ReplyDeleteLars Fosdal: AFAIK PlasticSCM is the only one with semantic intelligence, others just do line by line
ReplyDeleteStefan Glienke: I will look at it myself soon, the code was some kind of PoC some time ago. Do you know a better parser?
André Mussche You should get in contact with Roman Yankovsky . He is the author of DelphiAST which also uses the CastaliaParser but it has been updated to parse almost all Delphi sources that I know of (well it needs to since its used by FixInsight)
ReplyDeleteThis is really cool. I haven't come across PlasticSCM before, but this feature, combined with the git-but-nice vibe it has going, is very interesting.
ReplyDeleteDoes anyone know of commercial hosting platforms that offer Plastic? (I don't host my own source control. Having the canonical copy elsewhere on someone else's server, and then code on my machine, and on my backups, makes me happy.) Some googling showed none. I'm ready to switch from my current SCM provider (they offer too little for a rapidly increasing price) and I'd like to find a new one.
David Millington they have an open beta for cloud hosting, didn't know they were working on, maybe you can try it? https://plasticscm.com/cloud/index.html
ReplyDeleteDavid Millington or you can install PlasticSCM locally and push/pull to github/bitbucket on "the internet". You can use plasticscm in direct mode and in distrubuted mode like git. We use plasticscm in normal mode internally, so no extra push/pull action but a commit = directly stored on the server
ReplyDeleteAndré Mussche I just signed up for the cloud beta - thanks. And using it locally but committing to git sounds an interesting option. I'll investigate it. Thankyou.
ReplyDelete