I just used a with statement. Is there a support group I should join?

Comments

  1. You might join a meeting of the AWUG (Anonymous With User Group) in your town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. should that not be with.support group?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A simple "uses" is as dangerous as a "with"

    ReplyDelete
  4. yup, as in if you are using  a variable that you had not declared but is in a unit in your uses :)
    i have fallen into that trap myself

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all, my name is Ondrej and I've recently used a nested with statement. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you FreeAndNil the object referenced with the WITH statement?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, there is a support group. Nick Hodges runs it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We can help, Brandon. You just have to take the first step and admit you have a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have a problem. I can quit using with at any time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am adding new methods to existing interfaces (not COM).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anti-patterns could be so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i have a tendency to declare nested functions inside nested procedures inside nested functions... on inherited classes...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just used global variables and goto statements. any support group for that? :sniffs:

    ReplyDelete
  14. They should have a compiler option: "Allow Withs", and it's unchecked by default.  The problem is if you have a lot of code that has Withs in there.  I've been trying to remove them as I go along.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, what a tangled web we weave
    When with we practice to conceive!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Many people tend to look at programming styles and languages like religions: if you belong to one, you cannot belong to others. But this analogy is another fallacy.

    —Niklaus Wirth

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm looking for a refactoring tool that will automatically add with statements. You know, just to remove some bytes from my source files.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Let The International Obfuscated Pascal Code Contest begin! #iopcc

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment