I just wonder... How do you test VCL components? Do you use DUnit, DUnitX or similar tool?

Comments

  1. You mean when writing customs components? Or testing forms made with existing components?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asbjørn Heid Yes, I think about custom components. Especially custom visual controls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Define testing please. There are many forms of testing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandon Staggs "It builds, let's ship it?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have written extension on top of DUnit that allows me to test component packages as part of our automated building process

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like it will compile, ship it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rule of thumb - don't blindly trust other people's code. I've used DUnit2 for years to put some quick test cases together to make sure 3rd party code I use, work as advertised. Obviously it is not as thoroughly tested as my own code, but just enough to prove some assumptions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess, the usual ways. Various kinds of automated tests (Unit tests, integration tests etc) as well as the (somewhat more manual) user (developer) IDE tests and installation package tests.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are scriptable UI testing tools that can compare screenshots to spot visual differences which in theory can help testing visual code - but it is a bit of work to set up the tests, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment