Maybe I'm crazy, but I seem to remember that the IDE behaved differently than it does now in the following way:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I seem to remember that the IDE behaved differently than it does now in the following way:

1.  Create an app
2.  Build the app
3.  Press the "Run without Debugging" button

Now my memory was that at this point, the IDE would not recompile the application, but instead run the EXE I created in step 2.  However, now it appears that the IDE does a compile and then runs the app.

Do I have a poor memory?

Comments

  1. That's what I recall from the past as well. I hardly use it though; has it really changed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it appears to have changed.  Is there some new switch somewhere that I missed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The compiler reruns only the linking step because it notices there is nothing to compile actually (you can see that in the window if you pay attention). This behavior exists since ... forever. It is prevented by IDEFixPack which you obviously have not installed in 10 Seattle (because it does not exist) - and yes, this behavior is ****ing annoying.

    According to Andreas Hausladen comment on http://qc.embarcadero.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=116008 it should disappear when you disable ErrorInsight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, that's it: always having fixpack running.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes you're right, in DX10 it recompiles again.  In XE5, it doesn't, and in XE7 it doesn't .  Haven't verified in XE8

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nick Hodges​ But you are crazy - you just don't know it :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nick Hodges Wait, now, I don't think anyone suggested that!  ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment