Any DataSnap users? I've got a few questions, would like to gently enquire about suitability of it and your real-world experience of it (happy to do by PM if you'd rather). I know nothing about REST, SOAP, DataSnap, EMS and all the rest of it.

Any DataSnap users? I've got a few questions, would like to gently enquire about suitability of it and your real-world experience of it (happy to do by PM if you'd rather). I know nothing about REST, SOAP, DataSnap, EMS and all the rest of it.

We're looking to build a desktop and mobile app in FireMonkey (so we can share a lot of business-logic code between them), both platforms reading/writing data securely over the WAN. Further down the line, it's likely that our commercial partners might want 'in' on this data too, with their own clients (likely HTML5) also reading/writing.

If we built a DataSnap REST server, I'm right in thinking that can also be used by non-DataSnap clients (ie other websites, mobile apps in HTML5 or Xamarin etc)?

The demo videos that I've seen (and perhaps partly understood) all show the server as a Windows executable. But the wizards also offer ISAPI and Apache DLLs - presumably these are Windows-only, and couldn't be used in an organisation where Apache is on Linux - unless they added a Windows Apache server as well and did some routing of traffic etc?
If we went down the route of a Windows console application, is that suitable to be run as a service or would we have to do some work on the generated code to make it run as a service?

Sorry if this is all obvious, I trawled a bunch of YouTubes and websites last night and these were the points that I didn't feel I understood.

Comments