I have given a look at WinDev which was pointed out by someone here (can't remember who, maybe Stefan Glienke?).

I have given a look at WinDev which was pointed out by someone here (can't remember who, maybe Stefan Glienke?).

Ok, so, I envision two main customer types for this:

* Business people who don't know any better (there are templates set up so that the DB generation and other things do not matter)

* Developers who want a speedy turn-around for their systems

It is, essentially, a product for volume of applications rather than quality. At least in the Express version there doesn't seem to be any way to tweak the source code and I am not quite sure how the Android stuff is managed.

All in all, it is not a bad product, but it's a far cry from a refined system written in Delphi :)

A

Comments

  1. I locked at the forum and there are some (little) code. But hard to guess the language.
    BTW, forum is powered by their WebDev....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't use this product myself, but I've heard some feedbacks.
    It's an all in one easy to use product, but you should never try to do something out of the phylosophy of the product or you'll go into big troubles...it remind me the days I've played with Lotus Notes ;)
    The second feedbacks I had is the PCSoft has an army of lawyers and it is not a good idea to criticism the product on a public place.
    Finally, there publicities are well known ... for no technical reasons:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like 10 years ago I had an internship at a small shop using WinDev. I quit after like a week because it was just horrible :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is this not targeted at the classic (not mobile) Delphi user or Visual Basic user?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cristian PeÈ›a I also found it hard to find any info on the language. But if you go to the Embarcadero page, it's the same with Delphi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stefan Glienke, yeah, it's horrible if you want to do things properly :) Reminds me of... what's the name... there used to be a CASE software that this WinDev reminds me of, with a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE DB engine. It was not Cachet, it was something else,  oh yeah, CLARION! Jesus that was bad. However, as a product, it's fairly stable and it has got quite a few things that aren't bad, such as the schema designer. So, in theory, you could use the Express version to create the tables and then use something sensible such as TMS Aurelius to reverse engineer it and obtain class models to use in your delphi app. Quite a bargain if you ask me :)

    A

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment