I just entered a QP asking that the compiler, RTL and IDE version numbers be aligned.

I just entered a QP asking that the compiler, RTL and IDE version numbers be aligned. Currently the one product has several different version numbers. Please vote.

This bit me today when I downloaded a third-party project with suffix '230'. It includes some cross-platform FireMonkey support, which is new to the project. So, does '230' refer to XE2 (XE2's Delphi compiler's version, logical because it's the compiler and because it's when FMX was introduced) or Seattle (Seattle's package version, logical because it was a project, and because maybe the project has been recently updated for Seattle - I don't know.) Yes, you read that right: both XE2 and Seattle have the same version numbers for different components. In fact a lot of versions have numbers that are also used for other different versions.

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-13497

(I am surprised there isn't already an entry for this, but if there is my JIRA searching didn't find it. One more reason to get rid of the login for reading bugs and allow Google to search the bug database.)

(Re the project in question - Abbrevia - it doesn't come with packages for each Delphi version, so I opened the only packages and found they had a suffix of '230'. I initially thought 230 must mean Seattle, thinking it's been recently updated. But, it doesn't compile on XE6, so it's unlikely 230 actually means a very new version like Seattle, otherwise it'd work on something recent too, right? Maybe it means XE2, since I know it has FMX support, and XE2 also is version 230, if you use the compiler version and ifdefs and whatever. But it's a package LIB suffix, and the package suffix is 230 for Seattle. So maybe my first thought was right, and the project has actually been updated for Seattle and it broke support for old versions, rather than not being updated to match new versions yet. Confused? I am. I'm actually fairly sure it's meant to be Seattle, and that support was broken for old versions, not never added for new versions, but of course I'll have to dig into the commit logs to find out. This is a brilliant example of why the version numbers should be aligned; if a version number meant only a single version of Delphi, it'd be very clear what the situation is.)
https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-13497

Comments