Remember this installer from Delphi 1?


Remember this installer from Delphi 1?

Comments

  1. Not for Delphi but for JBuilder, yes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar to the Borland Pascal and dBASE installers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The installer (<> InstallAware) was very snappy. Borland with visions...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ralf Stocker Was snappy? I installed it last month on a core i7 and hardly saw it go by! It IS still very snappy, and it is amazing to run an os (and apps) that consumed less memory as a whole than today's apps use for a few variables.

    And aside from eye candy, not much has really changed since then (aside from a heck of a lot of bloat).

    Today's Delphi (RAD Studio) is a easy 60GB VM, with only 8GB belonging to the VM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ralf Stocker I just checked. Delphi 1 had a total of 19 MB install image... 10 Seattle clocks at 23GB plus Android and Windows SDK. Kind of easier to be snappy... just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe C. Hecht New versions are not that bad if you skip the mobile stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Asbjørn Heid I have keep every version (with everything). I used to be able to get at least a half dozen versions of Delphi and CBuilder (or more) in a smallish VM. Now every version needs a VM o its own (and I am way running out of disk space). whew. I love RAR 5.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This brings back memories. But glad for all the new cool stuff! I just wish the install didn't take a week... only joking, I think my last install was only half a day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen this image several times already, I really like the slogan "The fastest way to fastest applications". Unfortunately I'm not sure if the current Delphi vendor still has such a vision.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This installer ended my VisualBasic days. Yes, I used VB, but I don't anymore. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I haven't see that in many many years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oliver Holmes diskette is an actual English word:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disk
    A floppy disk, also called a diskette or just disk, is a type of disk storage ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jim Hunter A half day install is crazy! How can anybody think that is okay or normal. Installing a whole OS (eg: Linux or FreeBSD) which includes the OS and tons of software (web browser, LibreOffice, music player etc etc) takes 20-40minutes maximum here, and I have a 3 year old desktop system.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now, that was an installer. Why shouldn't installation be fun?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, it was the 6th beta on a bunch of 5.25'' diskettes for me. And it was cool !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment