From JediVcs to Git

From JediVcs to Git

I use JediVcs to manage the Delphi source files for several years, There are several projects with a lot of common files. As my team grows up, JediVcs becomes complicated to use and I’m looking for a move to Git.

the JediVcs is project based and the modules can be shared between several projects if they are located in the same directory or not.

Git on the other hand is directory based and there is a way to use subprojects.

I do not want to loose all the 15 years history for my source files .

So far, my options are :
let the history in a jvcs repository and start Git from scratch (not interesting for me as I will have two repositories).

extract the history from jvcs and import to Git per directory and use subprojects (not sure about using subprojects in Git when working on it daily)

us only one project including all subdirectories (except external libraries like jvcl) and import the history

My favorite options is the last one but I wonder if someone has already done something similar.

Do you have some ideas, or recommendations for this migration ?

Comments

  1. you might want to look at git subtrees instead of submodules, which at least makes upstreaming changes to the subprojects simpler
    http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/05/alternatives-to-git-submodule-git-subtree/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fabian, I already looked at subtrees but the frontend git tools like Sourcetree or the Delphi Xe8 integrated tool do not (AFAIK) manage the subtrees

    ReplyDelete
  3. AFAIK, SourceTree manages subtrees, atleast in the current version. As for the Git XE8 integration, I do not really use it, since the features are very limited.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment