Do you use GetIt?

Comments

  1. Dobrin Petkov So you use it , but related to your own post it doesn't work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krasimir Ivanov Do you use something on the PC without bugs? :)
    It is matter of the growing. GetIt is cool now and it will be more useful in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dobrin Petkov I'm ready to get your 10 Euro :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Currently I use it mostly for evaluation of components. When I start using those regularly I switch to a version controlled approach. Most of the packages don't adhere to my library guidelines, so I have to tweak them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great for trying out stuff - but I am a bit reluctant after seeing the Seattle/Berlin conflicts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried but gone back to individual installations

    ReplyDelete
  7. that poll is a bit misleading. it is missing "I don't own XE8 or Higher)"
    Simply "Never" doesn't pay the bill ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alexander Benikowski In that case you are probably not supposed to vote at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nope. Like any new feature, I wait a few Delphi versions before using it in order to get a feel for technical stability and long-term support.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My response would be "Never tried it - don't like the sounds of it - will stick with individual installations". :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alwas need the version controlled approach so getit was no help to me yet...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found this really interesting for those who don't know how to set up the IDE and install a package. What I miss is that getit sources seems only updated on new Delphi version. I didn't get any problems with Seattle and Berlin as Lars wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Needs an automated third party submission process and payments for it to really help grow the product.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is it possible to get it standalone? Is it compatible with older Delphi?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heinz Toskano​ I'm pretty sure it could be made to be compatible with older versions, but I doubt that embarcadero will do that. They want to sell Delphi, the latest version, GetIt is just a tool for doing that. If we want something similar and compatible with older versions, we'll have to write it ourselves.
    (But actually, I'm not that interested.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thomas Mueller about "If we want something similar and compatible with older versions, we'll have to write it ourselves": I think that such tool already exists, no? Delphinus does the same things, I guess? I haven't used it but that's what I've read...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am way too much of a control freak to allow something to automatically install for me - unfortunately. I prefer to version control and manage the packaging for EVERY component package I use. It is tedious when integrating new packages, but pays off when automating installation of my dev environment on a new machine and when managing a separate build server. For the record, I don't like NuGet either for the same reasons, though the .NET community seems less used to having source code for third-party add-ons.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Alexandre Machado Delphinus requires the project to be hosted on Github. That's not really an option for commercial software.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thomas Mueller​ i haven't tried it, but private Repositories seem to be the answer. They seem to be invisible when searching from an unauthorized user
    .

    EDIT: But on the otherhand, the focus of Delphinus is clearly Community and more open (source) approaches. But the thing with private repos should still work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ryan McGinty Regarding security: what happens here when you install a package via GetIt (and probably Delphinus, too) is, that after compilation when loading the design package into the IDE, some code is executed under your account that you might not have a chance to check before. If GetIt were wide open and nobody controls what it loads, some bad things can happen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Uwe Raabe yes, right. And that's something i can not avoid :(. But for Delphinus (if the executed code is harmfull on purpose), you could report the project on Github.

    If you want to grief, there is always a way :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. Don't use 3rd party components at home and at work they're all version controlled so can't use it there.

    Though if I were to use 3rd party components at home I'd probably give it a spin.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Alexandre Machado Yup, that's what it does :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment