Mobile RAD Studio on USB

Mobile RAD Studio on USB

I was sitting on the tube this morning contemplating things and thought that being able to carry around a version of RAD Studio (preferably an up to date one) on a USB stick would be a brilliant idea (encrypted of course - we all do that right?). I could do some stuff on the train or at lunch time. I already carry around a work laptop but if you didn't know I don't code for a living, I build things with tarmac, concrete, steel, pipes and wires - a civil engineering.

The last IDE I managed to do this with was Delphi 7 and the process had some issues (register settings, registering the debugger).

RAD Studio is designed as a modular system so in my mine it could do it at some point in the future (not as fully functioning as a main install perhaps) but there are some things that currently prevent it like .NET dependencies and the current licensing/security model and possibly others.

I was interested in other people's opinions on the subject and whether it would be useful to them (say debugging an issue at a client's location in-situ to find a hard to replicate bug). I did look on Quality Central but didn't find an appropriate Feature Request.

Comments

  1. Back, when Embarcadero tried to sell something like an app store for windows they also offered a Delphi version that installed through that method and did not need a real installation. Unfortunately I neither remember what that technology was called (I think they acquired it from some other company) nor when exactly this was. Must have been a few years back. It was some kind of container technology very similar to the way some portable app makers work by redirecting file and registry access.
    I could not find anything about this on their home page, so it's probably no longer available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniela Osterhagen wasn't that app wave?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes that's the one Jeroen Wiert Pluimers​ and here is a blog post from Marco Cantù​ about it from 2011
    http://blog.marcocantu.com/blog/understanding_appwave.html
    Apparently it was called ToolCoud before they bought it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment