Stack Overflow:

Stack Overflow:

What is your experience with Stack Overflow? What can you say about why you would rather post here, instead of posting on Stack Overflow, where you have a much broader audience?

I can say: they don't allow any errors (or mental "fog"), if you misread something in a duplicate post and even though somebody helped you easily in your post, just a one liner helping you out: somebody comes and says you missed this! You have an all out war because "I answered that in this post years ago! How stupid are you! Now we have a duplicate, damn how could you" Not even entertaining the possibility that somebody else had the same "error in their mind's compiler/ fog", which lead them to think of the problem differently, which means the duplicate I just made does in fact god forbid have merit.

And it's not about the fact that I made a duplicate, that's fine, it's the fact that I almost feel the super users take offence if you didn't find your solution in their original post... and then you are always guilty until proven innocent.

There are some of the moderators/super users that I have met, that can look beyond the fog of a troubled "mind compiler", one is David Heffernan, I have had posts where everybody else freaks out, but David's mind compiler sees beyond my (the OP's) fog, and answer the solution instead of the question.

So I think I could summarize with: SO don't like fog, fog in the mind of the OP, but that's why we post, because we have fog. The super users, of course, are immune to fog, and if I can do this without fog in my mind, don't mess with my perfect question database, fog has no place here...

And I am confident that posting this here vs on SO, I won't be crucified, I may rest assured, all that I said that was wrong, will be "kindly" addressed and not "militarily" addressed. Which is why I like posting here.

And then a final note, I may be wrong! And this may be a duplicate!

Comments

  1. Lars Fosdal​ This is where you and I differ. You care less about asking precise questions than I do. You call it dogma and pedantry. I personally think that details matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Heffernan Actually, my comment was not intended to reflect on the importance of good questions at all. I may not be as stringent as you, but you are right about chasing people for thinking through their questions before posting.

    One thing is how anything evolving into what resembles a discussion is shot down. Another thing is how votes sometimes appears to be abused by a clique. Or how some people get rather high on their horse if challenged. You are not one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lars Fosdal Another thing is how in some cases, the nasty responses become (and remain) a significant portion of the page. There is no value to that at all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment