Today I went to a twice monthly event not far from where I live called "code and coffee". About 70 to 80 people show up, separate into interest groups (Java, javascript, python,...) then discuss and code apps. I was sitting with a bunch of 20 and 30 somethings and mentioned I use Delphi everyday at work. They had no idea what Delphi was (one of them said he might have heard about it in the past). I had to explain to them what it was. At first, they sounded excited, when I told them it can be used to create multi platform apps. Then they asked what it cost...when I told them what it cost to be able to write those apps, they were sort of shocked. Then they looked up Delphi jobs on Indeed and Dice, for the local market, and completely lost interest.

Comments

  1. If a young person asks me about spending over 2K for development, I tell them to get an ass kicking laptop running Windows 10 and load it up with free tools. That's pretty much what I did a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can build literally anything with c# and visual studio code and or the free visual studio sku. iOS , android, Mac, Windows desktops . Web.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unless things change, Delphi will become a dead language only used by those with existing systems to maintain. Why would anyone choose an expensive product like Rad Studio, especially for app development when they can use Xamarin for free? Unless the pricing model is modernised, they're fighting a losing battle and all the great work on Firemonkey will be for nothing.
    If EMB only see Rad Studio as an enterprise level product they should be honest and say as such, otherwise they need to modernise to compete

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment