Hi guys!

Hi guys!

I bought a Mecer tablet. It comes with a 32bit Windows, and with a Intel 64bit CPU. I checked and the CPU definitely supports a 64bit OS. I thought I would have a 64bit OS with the stock settings, but the Windows 8.1 that comes with it, is a 32bit OS. I'm not quite, but almost out of options: the BOIS seems incapable of booting 64bit UEFI flash drive, 32bit works fine.

Now my question is not about the tablet, I'll just go with whatever the limitations are of the system, I have no choice... the question is about Delphi 32bit and 64bit targets.

I'm thinking of developing some on the tablet, and with my current project everything is 64bit, even the Integers, Int64... what are the actual difference between 32 and 64bit targets? I'm pretty sure a 32bit Integer will be enough for my needs, I'm wondering what is the speed/ and other implications of "downgrading" to 32bit? (Oh, and I know 32bit can use less RAM, but I rarely pass 40mb RAM usage, so there also no problem.)

Anybody got some technical know how of the insides? Reasons why I might develop 32bit target on the tablet, but release when I'm home from the 64bit system? (or for that matter, using 32bit on both?) What are the reasons for caring of having a 64bit/32bit target, why one and why the other?

Thanks :-)

Comments

  1. Means nothing that it works on 64 bit. That could just be chance. All evidence points to defect in your code. When OS change results in your program failing almost invariably that's because of defect in your code. Do some debugging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phillip Woon​ We are running 32-bit services under 2012 without issues. Can it be a DB driver issue? Run the service as an .exe and debug it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just compared 32 and 64-bit iOS with my app (havy use of ClientDataSet). Here is an average from a variation of about 50ms plus-minus.
    32-bit: 5 s 450 ms
    64-bit: 5 s 810 ms

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment