Hi

Hi,
I have an algorithm already built in a Delphi 10.1 VCL application which I wish clients to be able to access via the web either from a Delphi FMX client app (desktop, tablet, phone), or else a javascript web interface (any device).   I need to access a Firebird database on the server.  Direct access to the database or my app is not acceptable for security reasons.   The data to and from the sever is small, just perhaps 20 keywords each way, no images or binaries etc. I need encryption of the JSON and aurthorisation of cleints.   I have assumed JSON via HTTP should be the web transport method.  I have therefore toyed with the idea of setting up a Webbroker server, as Delphi sets this up easily as a template and I can create the relevant endpoints having watched Craig Chapmans's excellent recent videos.  I want to use Delphi as the solution as I am familiar with it, not with other technologies.  I assume I will need to put each client request into its own TThread to allow simultaneous parallel processing of clients.   I have not done done any web server projects before, so its a steep learning curve.   Questions
1.  How to implement the threads safely and to access external data - it seems people are not happy with the Synchronize method and want to use Windows messaging instead. 
2.  Is WebBroker/Datasnap  the best Delphi technology to use?  Some says its a bit flaky still.
3.  Has anyone tried RADServer yet.  Is it worth the $6k per year?
4.  If not (2, 3), what other Delphi technologies could be used?
5.  Failing that, what is plan B - other technology.   It needs to be do-able without too much effort or cost - this project may not be a commercial winner.
Basically has anyone done this before and can point me in the right direction.  (NB Craig Chapmans 15 videos are great but there must be an easier/quicker/off the shelf way)
Many thanks
Martin

Comments

  1. Thx guys, looks like I need to get into an ORM rather than reinvent the wheel.  Malcolm Groves (ex Emb) at the recent ADUG symposium recommended TMS Aurelius.   MORMOT is good for Lazarus too, as an open source version too which could be handy.   Will look at both options.
    Cheers,
    Martin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment