I think our ecosystem should really have two things:

I think our ecosystem should really have two things:
1. Functional package manager targets D7+ (So third-parties would like to get involved in).
2. Tools create/manipulate/sync project source/configuration files for different product versions

Then we may follow the unix philosophy: Every package solves only single problem. Take Spring4D for instance, we may separate it to common types, collections, logging, dependency injection framework, persistence framework, etc. by this scale, we will have evolved a big package tree some day. People are also free to choose what packages they want. Large libraries may not adapt well today. It is really wasteful to implement similar features in every project...

P.S. Delphinus package manager supports XE+. I would suggest them try different architecture. e.g. Inter-Process Communication, so that modern Delphi syntax can be still used in the command line interface while the thin IDE plugin support D7+ platforms.

Comments

  1. You do not put 1or 2third party units into their own bpl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexander Benikowski I don't put anything into a BPL apart from design time code. For 3rd party code I absolutely don't want some package manager in charge of delivering it to me. I care about versioning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Unix philosophy too, but I don't think I need a package manager - I need the freedom a Project Manager cannot provide.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment