OK, I tried it and I can confirm that Delphi 7 works on Ubuntu Linux 16.04, using the Wine installation that comes with it. This includes the debugger (which didn't work the last time I tried it).


OK, I tried it and I can confirm that Delphi 7 works on Ubuntu Linux 16.04, using the Wine installation that comes with it. This includes the debugger (which didn't work the last time I tried it).
There are a few quirks, but I was able to compile and install GExperts and it works as well. Debugging GExperts (which means running Delphi inside its own debugger) also works.

I wouldn't call this "Platinum" yet
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2325
But it's quite usable at first glance.

Comments

  1. Been using Delphi 3,6 and 7 for couple of years now on Ubuntu Linux. Recently even had some blog post in the matter at kriscode.blogspot.com
    Apparently you can even run XE8 but not FMX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris Kamil Jacewicz I know, your posts were the reason I tried it again. Last time was more than 7 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see, super happy I got you inspired to retry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FWIW, I ran Delphi 1 under Ubuntu on an ARM board(just for fun, but still).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe C. Hecht which emulator /vm did you use? Dosbox?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe C. Hecht can you please reveal more? I don't even know what Delphi1 was, was it like for Win3.11? How is ARM Ubuntu running this, I never heard about Wine for ARM, I would really like to know some more about this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe C. Hecht  Thomas Mueller  so Delphi1 ran in DOS mode?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thomas Mueller I think it was DOSBox. eltechs.com has a interesting emulator as well. I posted about it someplace on google. I tried our non-google search for our Single Board Computer community, but came up empty handled, and have not indexed my own feed (someday soon).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kris Kamil Jacewicz no, Delphi 1 was a 16 bit Windows program. Dosbox can be used to install Windows 3 on top of DOS, but I have never tried it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment