64-bit vs 32-Bit and XE2

64-bit vs 32-Bit and XE2

Hello, I have a stable server application that utilizes 32-bit under Delphi XE2.

Recently, I've seen some articles that show Microsoft is interested in "warning" customers where they are using Desktop vs Metro apps. In addition, WOW32 is getting a little long in the tooth and I'm worried about them doing the same thing for 32-bit apps.

My application doesn't need 64-bit, but a few times, customers have asked me about producing a 64-bit version. For the most part, the UI is hidden as a Service and it's running happily on the sysadmin's server. Perhaps they like to audit software and will note when something is still 32-bit. shrug.

In any case, I've started looking at targeting my app to 64-bit, but immediately had problems with my software protection (which uses inline assembly). It feels like forever ago, since I addressed UNICODE when I made the switch to XE2, but it's still a thorn in my side and I'm very wary about opening any "cans of worms".

I'm curious about other developer's feelings about Windows 64-bit. In addition, I'm worried about the code quality of XE2's 64-bit compiler and the potential of tracking down niggles that may arise from the new platform. I've talked to Emb about renewing to the latest Delphi, but the cost of it and third-party libs is pretty high. Not sure it's even worth it for simply targeting a new binary, as I don't plan on making any use of FMX, Android, iOS or language features and it will stay in Windows land forever.

Comments

  1. Stick with 32 bit I'd say. Without a need for 64 bit you are simply asking for bugs by changing. XE2 dcc64 was not perfect but serviceable. But you don't need to worry about 32 bit support.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment