Gripe and moan !!

Gripe and moan !!

I really hope someone from Embarcadero is listening and by someone I am hoping for the likes of Marco Cantu !!

I have had my laptop machine crash a few times and get stolen out of our office once and now I come back after a long weekend in which my laptop has been rebuild only to find I have reached my maximum number of attempts:

"The registration limit for this serial number has been reached. For further assistance, please contact support. Correct the error and attempt to register again."

< Rant >
I know you have to protect your software, but I wonder if Embarcadero understands the level of stress this causes. I am under the gun and i mean UNDER THE GUN to get code finished. The last DAMN THING I need when my company pays thousands into Embarcadero's coffers is to be locked out of something we own !!!!


Comments

  1. Submit a request to increase the limit, usually gets turned around quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If support is not answering rapidly, I can ask them. I know it is difficult to set a balance between stopping piracy and not annoying customers -- trying to make things better in the future. But piracy is extremely high, so a "no defense" line is not an option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marco Cantù Thank you for the offer of sorting it; I may take you up on that. I'll hang on for another hour, as I can "entertain" myself with SQL work right now...

    BTW I absolutely agree with you on the piracy thing,
    I am sure we all appreciatte that. however, from a developers perspective it is highly annoying when you have a deadline.

    I think if there is a need for a "bump the limit" then maybe the limit should be 4 or 5; not 3. Also I think that the "bump the limit" service should have a quick turnaround, so 1 or 2 hours is not unreasonable. All of this happened to me about 3 hours ago and I'm still waiting. Most developers ( I think ) would forgive you if the code was turned around in under 4 hours, but if it strays into the next day, then it really will be affecting productivity ... but I am fairly sure you have a good handle on all these concerns

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't even stop piracy anyway. Cracked versions of Delphi are easily obtained I think.

    The best you can hope for is to make sure that paid up users don't inadvertently violate the license by using more seats than they have licensed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David Heffernan Then it really does need a rethink !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some time ago I suggested to automatically bump the limit after a certain period of time. As this was during the six months release cycle my suggestion was something like: increase the limit by one every six months. Also resetting the used slots every year or so may also be an option.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uwe Raabe That sounds like something sensible !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marco Cantù Please can I take you up on your offer. I raised a support case ( 00562162 ) at support.embarcadero.com

    I would like to have this resolved before I go home this evening please.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. What did Gabe Newell once say?
    "Piracy is a service problem" - sure it was used in a different context but I think it also applies here to a certain degree

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marco Cantù All sorted; thanks Emb. support and thanks Marco

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment