I have a question about the usage of packages in a Delphi Application.

I have a question about the usage of packages in a Delphi Application.

I've been rebuilding an application of mine, most from the ground up, using interfaces, single class per unit, etc and have started to experiment with package units together.

Now the original EXE was circa 6M with Seattle and I know that the RTL BPL is circa 10M in Tokyo. My EXE will get bigger once I start to add more functionality but I'm wondering whether packaging it is worth while (current rebuild is circa 26M with debugging, half of that VCL, RTL BPLs etc).

Does anyone have any rules of thumb for the switch point between single EXE to packages?

Comments

  1. Regarding size packages will only pay when you have multiple exe files that share a significant amount of code. In addition size has to really matter to outweigh the drawbacks of packages.
    Another reason for using packages would be some plugin functionality in your application.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also remember, using packages eliminates smart linking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David Heffernan, Uwe Raabe, Willo van der Merwe Thanks for the responses. Its now back to a single EXE and less of a headache to manage.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment