New book on the horizon... and some GREAT NEWS that created HAVOC in my life!

New book on the horizon... and some GREAT NEWS that created HAVOC in my life!

I'm writing a book about memory management. The title will be "Delphi memory management for classic and ARC compilers".

You can read more about it at: http://sites.fastspring.com/epixeditions/product/delphimm

I already have a few chapters in rough draft and my plan is to finish the book by the end of September.

So far so good, but...

GREAT news struck my family like lightning! One that will force us to switch into high gear!

My son won the Outstanding Scholarship for the Rochester Institute of Technology course in IT/Web and Mobile tech!

Yaaay! :)

But... The Scholarship covers only half of the tuition cost!

I don't have to spell it out to you... but we're kinda short on cash, so...

Anyone here interested in preordering the book?

It'll be a deal too!

While the regular price will be $37.50, you can preorder it at only $27.50 until June 30!

You'll get a great ebook about memory management!

I promise! :)

Cross my heart! :)

I expect to release it by September 30.

Just go to http://sites.fastspring.com/epixeditions/product/delphimm

Oh, and please share! Thanks :)
http://sites.fastspring.com/epixeditions/product/delphimm

Comments

  1. Purchased and shared (do I get an extra discount?) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard Baroniunas eBook only, for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicholas Ring No discounts, only my eternal gratitude ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a draft, but it is subject to change

    # Memory management basics and terminology
    - Value types, pointers and reference types
    - Unmanaged and managed types
    - Dangling pointers / references
    - Memory management models

    # Object Instance Lifecycle
    - Lifecycle
    - Ownership
    - Handling nil & Nil (Null) Object Pattern

    # Manual memory management - classic Delphi compiler
    - Destroy
    - Free
    - FreeAndNil
    - TObjectList ownership
    - TComponent ownership
    - TComponent notification system
    - Forms - Release and caFree

    # ARC memory management
    - What is ARC?
    - Golden rule
    - Strong, Weak, Unsafe
    - ARC in context of classic Delphi compiler
    - Interfaces
    - SmartPointers

    # ARC coding patterns
    - Breaking strong cycles
    - Reference cycles and anonymous methods
    - Storing weak and unsafe references in collections
    - Delphi ARC specifics - DisposeOf
    - Delphi cross-compiler coding patterns
    - Interacting with Java and Objective-C objects
    - Existing code in context of ARC

    # General coding patterns (for all compilers) and avoiding fragile code

    # Known issues and pitfalls in Classic and ARC compilers

    Including plenty of code examples in all topics

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice idea, just completed my preorder. If you have the time I'd suggest a chapter on the available tools for detecting memory leaks and how to go about resolving leaks once you find them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard Baroniunas you can expect 120-150, it is still work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lachlan Gemmell Tools are on my to-do list, though I may have to scratch them from the first release as I wouldn't want to postpone it beyond September. However, if this happens, I'll release an update in form of second release by the end of the year, free for all first release owners.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Attila Kovacs You can change currency in top right corner by choosing different country. That should be enough to change currency on the invoice. However, I am not 100% sure.

    Invoices are handled by Fastspring so if you have any questions about that part, the best would be to ask orders@fastspring.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Attila Kovacs I have just checked. GBP is just estimated by the system. Your actual payment will be submitted in USD. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment